I caught the 9:30 AM flight out of Dublin to Chicago, while the Christ Connect Youth Group boarded a bus and headed southwest into County Kildare on their way to Kilkenny. As I was not with the group, I would imagine they were treated to a medieval experience walking the cobblestoned streets and touring the 12th century Normon castle.
They were later afforded an excursion which allowed them to observe a working sheepdog, and they had the opportunity to actually hold lambs - something I've never done in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter! The group then journeyed into the heart of the Wicklow Mountains where they spent time in Glendalough, one of the most scenic places on the island. Glendalough means the "valley of the two lakes" in Gaelic and in the 6th century it became the home of a monastery, founded by St. Kevin. Visitors today can still explore many of the ruins, including the iconic round tower. Some of my best days ever were spent at Glendalough, and I hope the team experienced the something similar.
Based on the texts I received from Ashlyn and the adult leaders, it seems that the group made it back to the hotel safe and sound, though it might have been a challenge to get them all to bed at the designated hour. I can imagine that there was quite a buzz amongst the teens having completed their week in Ireland and having done such a marvelous job of serving, learning, and making connections that I pray will last a lifetime.
Gratitude
I want to say thank you to James Masterson for being open to organizing this trip and for persevering through the rough patches of preparation along the way. James is an excellent youth minister whose heart for the Lord and the teens at Christ Connect is obvious and appreciated. As I am fully aware based on my own experience, no youth minister does it alone. And no one plays as critical a role in a ministry to youth than the spouse of a youth pastor. Amanda is such a complement to James and continues to bless the Christ Connect teens with her openness and enthusiasm. Everett, James' youth intern this summer also hit a homerun on this trip. Each morning, Everett woke up early and cooked eggs (and attempted to cook Irish sausage - only setting off the fire alarm once) for the two teens in our room, and throughout the trip he was always available to serve in whatever capacity was necessary. I have no doubt that he will have a long and fruitful ministry wherever the Lord leads him.
Throughout our five years in Dublin, it was always my wife, Juli, who came up with the best ideas for ministry. The Spirit moved Juli to dream, and then I and others would run with those dreams, though Juli didn't always receive the appreciation due her. But recognition has never been what Juli is after. She's all about Christ and blessing others through him. It was Juli who initially dreamed up this trip, and it was her idea to partner with the All Saints Church in Raheny. I am finally beginning to realize that I need to listen to my wife and make sure that I show her the appreciation that she deserves.
In addition to those mentioned above, I want to offer my sincerest gratitude to Terry, Chris, Angela, Beth, Dara, Jennelle, Jody, Meaghan, and Sonia. And I want to offer a special shoutout to my new hillwalking, hitchhiking, and fellow sports fanatic buddy, Philip. I pray that this trip will forever hold a special place in our collective memories and that the future that God will open up before us will be transformed, if only just a bit by what has occurred over these past eight days.
Of course, this journey would not have been possible without the loving support and generosity of the Christ Connect Church family and so many others who contributed to our teens and adults. Thank you.
Further Reflections
What difference does it make? Why go through all of the logistical planning, the fundraising, the time away from other endeavors, and the financial commitment to spend eight days in a foreign country serving others, but not necessarily curing cancer, alleviating global poverty, or holding events that see mass conversions? Why go? Why go there? Why go now?
These are worthwhile questions. These are questions that I've wrestled with my entire adult life - going all the way back to 1998 when I entered a missions program and then spent 15 months serving a small congregation in Nottingham, England. I spent the better part of 20 years serving churches in the UK, Texas, Ireland, Colorado, and now as a part of the laity, in Kansas. All along the way I've considered these questions, and I am still working on a definitive answer, but I am not sure that I will ever be able to put my thoughts into articulate words. But one thing I am sure of is that God has never promised me outcomes that fit neatly into a predetermined box of success, rather he has invited me to embark on adventure and to trust him along the way. He has assured me that if I am faithful to him and to the process, that somehow, someway, in the renewal of all things, the little bits of pieces that we contribute through the Spirit's work in our lives will make a difference. Sometimes we see the difference with our own eyes, but most of the time we simply trust and obey - with trust being the optimal word. In light of Christ's resurrection, the apostle Paul put it this way in 1 Corinthians 15:58: "Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." - Shay

No comments:
Post a Comment