Monday, July 11, 2011

Camping Shamrock Style

Eleven years ago I was blessed with the opportunity to work for three weeks at Camp Shamrock www.campshamrock.com in the Tollymore Forest Park near Newcastle, Northern Ireland.  It was one of the last things I did during my 15 month internship with the Nottingham Church of Christ in Stapleford, England and beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was the most memorable.  Juli had the chance to serve at the camp the previous two years and we've both worked there together in 2002 and 2007.  We arrived in Dublin last year in time for me to serve as a counselor.  I wouldn't miss it!  Many of our friends in Ireland were first made at camp.  In fact, if it weren't for Camp Shamrock we wouldn't be living and working in Dublin right now (at least, not in any way that I can reckon).

So I'm off in 30 minutes to pick up some local lads, seven of whom I will have worked with previously through Sports Across Ireland in Ballymun, and the 18 of us (3 cars) will make our way up north.  Some of the time we'll be wet, cold, hungry, and tired, but at all times we'll be having a blast and growing closer to Christ.  I look forward to sharing what the Lord will have done through our week at camp. - Shay   

No comments:

Post a Comment