Monday, March 7, 2016

Timing is Everything


It’s a cliché, but nevertheless true - “Timing is everything.”  Though already anointed king by Samuel, David did not take it upon himself to establish his kingdom by his own means or in his own way.  He trusted God to establish it when the time was right. 

How often do we try to force God’s hand in matters great or small?  Even when we’re sure of God’s will in a particular area, do we sometimes try to bring about God’s work through our own skill and efforts, rather than choosing to wait on God and trust him to take the initiative?  We certainly shouldn’t be passive in exercising our faith, but there is such a thing as being too aggressive.  We should walk confidently through the doors God opens, but we would do well to exercise caution and restraint before picking up a battering ram. 

Back in 2008, Juli and I had to consider whether or not we would pursue our dream to work with churches in Ireland.  We felt God had put this passion on our heart, but at that point it didn’t seem as if God was opening up the necessary doors.  Rather than trying to force our way to the Emerald Isle, we took a step back and reevaluated God’s calling.  Within a few months’ time God had begun to move in ways that we could never have orchestrated on our own.  By aligning our lives with his timeline, we were blessed not only with the opportunity to live and work in Ireland, but we got to do it with 8 other amazing people!  If only I would surrender control in a number of other areas of my life.   

I need to be reminded of David’s patient trust so clearly visible in the opening lines of Psalm 40 – “I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry.  He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.  He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.”  At least part of being a person after God’s own heart is learning to trust him and his timing. – Shay  

No comments:

Post a Comment