Monday, May 21, 2018

Citizenship and Identity

Our friends and former teammates, Craig and Merschon Hutson officially became Irish citizens today.  Less than 8 years ago, the Hutsons moved to Dublin as aliens, but today, they have made the Republic of Ireland not only their residence, but their home.  I am thrilled that they've taken this step and I know that it means so much to them and to the North Dublin Christian Community for whom they labor.  There are many Irish Americans in the world, but not nearly as many American Irish.  The Hutsons have joined the few and the proud.

Several decades ago, my grandmother Augusta and her Danish family became Americans.  I'm sure it must have been a meaningful moment for her family to not only embrace their new home, but to be embraced back through the naturalization process.  Immigrants around the world can empathize with the feeling.

Ever since I first moved overseas 19 years ago, I've spent a lot of time thinking about citizenship and identity.  Though I'm proud to be an American, I am more and more convicted that this is only one small part of my identity.  Don't get me wrong, I realize that so much of my world-view and even personality has been shaped by growing up in the United States.  And I have received many blessings as an American.  But more and more, I've come to view myself as a citizen of the world, rather than just one nation on this terrestrial ball.  In fact, though the US is a republic, I have become evermore convinced that monarchy is the way forward.  But not just any old monarchy.  I am convicted that the only kingdom worth living for, and even dying for, is the Kingdom of God.  But it's a kingdom that I will never kill for (our founder has outlawed this).

Thanks to dual nationality, the Hutsons were not forced to renounce their US citizenship today.  They don't have to choose between being Irish or American.  But citizens of the Kingdom of God don't have the option of dual nationality.  Sure, we live and function as Americans, Irish, Venezuelan, Nigerian, Chinese, or Iranian.  We pray for our leaders, as well as other world leaders, we pay our taxes, send our kids to school (or home school them), and try to obey the laws of the land (so long as they don't violate the constitution of Christ's Kingdom).  But our ultimate allegiance must always be given to our only sovereign, King Jesus.  And we have faith that one day, whether soon, or in the distant future, the kingdoms of this world, will become the one and only kingdom of our Lord, and he will reign forever and ever.

Though Craig and Merschon are citizens of two great republics, their most prized possession is their citizenship in a monarchy.  And knowing them both well, I can say without a doubt that the most important "passport" they hold is the one they received years ago when they were baptized into Christ and became a part of his people, being marked and sealed by his Holy Spirit.  Like me, they long for the day when passports will no longer be needed as the nations will bring their glory into the new Jerusalem in God's renewed creation and all of earth's people will be made one.  Come King Jesus! - Shay    

2 comments:

  1. That's absolutely wonderful news , congratulations y'all I'm so happy for yall :)

    Brilliant article Bro Shay ! How very true :) miss y'all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pass on your regards to the Hutsons! All the best mate!

    ReplyDelete