Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Experience and Innocence

When I was a kid, I was exposed to the music of Simon & Garfunkel, Willie Nelson, and Neil Diamond while on road trips with my parents.  Of the three, I'm still a fan of Willie and Simon & Garfunkel, and though I don't listen to Neil Diamond, I respect him as a song writer and singer.  However, I've never seen any of them perform live.  I really need to catch Mr. Nelson soon, as he recently turned 85.  I have no idea how long he'll be around (the herbal remedies seemed to have worked in his case, though I don't think I'd recommend that to anyone else looking to live a long life), but I can't imagine he'll be touring a decade from now.  Paul Simon is about to embark on his farewell tour, so I better catch him while I can too.  My parents have seen Neil Diamond live a couple of times, but I wasn't present and I don't think I've ever attended a major concert with them.  But I am thankful that we hold some musical preferences in common.

For better or worse, I've exposed Ashlyn to quite a bit of my music catalogue.  She's taken a liking to everything from George Ezra, Roddy Woomble, and Idlewild, to Dropkick Murphys and Rend Collective.  But my happiest moment came when Ashlyn told me that U2's new album, "Songs of Experience" is her favorite record of all time.  She claims that she'll never quit loving it (that's up in the air), but I'm just happy she's enjoying it in the present.  And though she's young to attend her first rock concert, she'll join me to see Dublin's finest launch their new tour tomorrow night in Tulsa, OK.  Juli will also be present, so it will be a family affair.  And since this is the Experience + Innocence tour, we'll all be aptly represented.  Don't worry, we'll make sure Ashlyn's wearing earplugs and gets to bed early later in the week! - Shay      

No comments:

Post a Comment